When you think of all the things you want, your list could be a hundred items long. When you feel what you want, your list shrinks to just a few things that really matter to you.
This simple meditation quickly cuts through the confusion. It can also help you sleep, especially if you think in bed.
Meditation to see what your heart wants, quickly.
- Close your eyes.
- Start thinking about all the things you want for about 15 seconds.
- Finish your list.
- Now be aware of the position of your eyes. Are your eyes cast upwards? We often look up when thinking and that sends energy and often heat into the head.
- Now let go of your list.
- With your eyes closed, take a few gentle deep breaths.
- As you exhale, cast your eyes downward toward the tip of your nose.
- Keep your eyes in this position and take another deep breath.
- As you exhale, draw an imaginary line from your nose tip to your heart.
- Keep your mind’s eye looking at your heart and keep your awareness of your breath.
- Your eyes are closed, relaxed, and looking into your heart.
- Ask yourself—what does my heart want?
- … when nothing else matters, except for my heart?
- … and without justification.
- What do I really want?
Both your head and your heart are involved in knowing what you want, but your heart has a certain way of cutting through the clutter. This is a simple exercise that can help with your everyday decisions. Think things through logically, but don’t forget to check in with your heart. That way, you’ll make decisions that feel right for you.
For a more structured meditation that reaches the core of your desires, try our Illuminating Your Heart’s Desire. It’s a trip!