Yoga Nidra – Sensations & Chakra Rotation is practiced in the lying position. Your body enters a deep sleep-like state while your mind remains awake and can explore your inner world.
This meditation initially reduces the negative effects of stress, eliminates fatigue, and relieves anxiety. It then enables you to effortlessly take your awareness deep into your unconscious mind, where you can explore all the wonderful things that may have previously been dormant or unconscious.
If this is your first time with Yoga Nidra
If you have never practiced Yoga Nidra, we recommend that you start with our Introduction to Meditation and Yoga Nidra. These meditations are designed to support deep relaxation and rest so that you can recuperate from stress, fatigue, exhaustion and illness.
01 Yoga Nidra with Chakra Visualization – 28 min
Title: Yoga Nidra with Chakra Visualization – 28 min
Author: Dr Swami Shankardev Saraswati
Content: Guided Relaxation Meditation
Duration: 28 minutes
They are especially useful if you have been unwell, or are recovering from surgery, or just need to rest so that you have the energy to face the unceasing demands and stresses of modern living.
Though we always teach and encourage students to remain awake and aware during the practice of Yoga Nidra, students often fall asleep. This is a natural part of the first stage of Yoga Nidra, the stage of relaxation, rest, recuperation and rejuvenation.
The Introduction to Meditation and Yoga Nidra is ideal for rest and recuperation. Once you have practiced these for some time and feel refreshed move onto the next stage of mastering this wonderful relaxation meditation practice using Yoga Nidra – Sensations and Chakra Rotation.
Yoga Nidra – Sensations and Chakra Rotation
This relaxation meditation is a great next step on the path to exploring your inner world. It is suitable for all students, from beginners to advanced.
Remember, to gain full advantage from this practice you ideally need to have reduced the levels of fatigue in your body so that you can remain awake and aware, experience the sensations you are creating and tune into your chakras and the energies emanating from them.
It seems paradoxical that the more awake and aware you can remain during the practice of Yoga Nidra the deeper will be your level of rest and recuperation
Yoga Nidra – Sensations and Chakra Rotation forms the foundation for more advanced practices of Yoga Nidra.
Stages of the practice
This MP3 has the following stages:
- Resolve (sankalpa) – creating a short positive sentence that encapsulates your desire/intention
- Rotation of consciousness (right side, left side, back, front)
- Body/floor contact – grounding and integrating practice
- Awareness of sensations (heat/cold, heaviness/lightness) – develop your ability to create feelings and experiences
- Chakra visualization – tune into and visualize the petals of the chakras and the energy contained within them
- Resolve (sankalpa)
The main elements of this Yoga Nidra are:
- Body/floor contact is a grounding and stabilizing element. This enables you to develop a solid base for the next stage, awareness of sensations.
- In awareness of sensations, you are learning how to create various feelings and then dispose of them. This eventually leads to mastery of the mind.
- Chakra visualization and rotation takes your awareness from a more externalized sensory experience to a subtler dimension in you. Having gone through the preliminary stages, you now have access to your subtle body which contains the chakras, powerful controlling psychic energy centers. As your subtle body becomes more accessible you connect to a stable inner core that is the foundation of resilience and empowers the next stage of inner experience and self-discovery.
Yoga Nidra guides you to harness your conscious intention called a “sankalpa” in Sanskrit. By focusing your intention on something that you truly want, you connect your desires to your unconscious mind and are better able to manifest them.
If you can remain awake during the practice, you are better able to harness the powers of your unconscious. Your mind is clearer and more focused. Your ability to use your willpower to achieve your goals is amplified.